Sunday, August 16, 2009

The glass ski boot- a Cinderella story

Christian comes in to work the kickoff sale every year. He has been in the industry for a long time and is a master boot fitter. He has also developed into a close personal friend of mine. In 2004 or so, on a typical Saturday sale afternoon, we had four or 5 boot fits going at the same time. Lot's of employees working as well as a store full of customers. Christian finished up a boot sale and was ready to help the next person in line.
Heather had come in with two friends. She was in to buy ski boots. Christian was available and helped her. By the time the boots were sold every person in the shop know that there was some serious chemistry between the two of them. You can guess the rest of the story! Heather gave birth to a wonderful baby girl last week. She is named Catherine. I thought that naming her after the boots would have been cool. What do you think about a baby girl named FR9.5? I guess Christian and Heather didn't like it either. Anyway, congratulations to the three of them! Certainly the best and most important boot fit of Christians life.
Around here we continue to move towards the anniversary sale. Thursday was typical. We re-merchandised the base layer items. I got Jennifer going on sale signage which she will do at home. Goves were received, more helmets came in. Boots were re shuffled as more had arrived. Typical day right now. The bigger picture is going well also. Staffing is coming together. The boxes keep coming and it looks like most of the gear will be re on time.. I don't know where I can display all the skis. I don't know where to store all the back stock boots. The store is looking like a person in clothing 2 sizes too small- bursting at the seams. Perfect!
The web site is also looking pretty ready (I like our site and hope you all do too). The web is becoming a more and more important aspect to advertising, so I have invested a fair amount of time and $$ into the site the last few years. It's fairly complete per my list of changes/additions/revisions. I have a few pages that are ready but not live as I typ these words. I can live with that. They will be on line in a few days. The site will be getting a lot of hits right now due to our sale flier finding customers mailboxes. I also did an "ad" on the SFGate site that will direct them to our web page. Google analytics will tell me the traffic counts on the web site, but in the end the proof is in the pudding. The sales numbers for the reunion sale are what really count. That is the true test.
Meanwhile the preparations continue!

No comments: