Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year! I'm a tourist too!

Well after a few weeks with no days off, I knew the store was not open on New Years day, so it would be a good day not to work. The day before New Years was a Wednesday which is my normal day off. I hadn't taken a Wednesday off in a few weeks but it couldn't be too busy on New Years eve, could it? So I took an invite to go to Northstar. A friend would be there and had thrown out a loose invite. Mike is a former employee and current part of the "former employee cast of thousands" that will put in a day or two of work if you need it. He had just picked up his new Stockli skis. Mike is a super fun guy and he was ready to rip! I knew he did a ski lease every year. Why not, I thought? I called Mike to confirm after work on the 30th, and found that Northstar was the spot. The event would be taking place at the condo of a friend of Mikes and they had a bed for me (well, an air mattress, but I will typically settle for less). Without many more details I committed to being there.
So I skied between Christmas and New Years with "the masses" for the first time in many years. Thus began my "tourist" experience. I left late after doing some personal errands and met up with Mike. The main parking lot's were completely full. I called Mike. I got to park underground below the condo and unloaded my bags of gear onto a cart. I pushed it 15 feet to an elevator and pushed some buttons. The elevator door opened directly into the condo. Wow! Three families were in high gear. Six adults plus seven young girls between the ages of 4 and 14 were staying at the condo. And two dogs. And now me. So fourteen people and two dogs. Looked pretty fun!
The three families were friends from middle school contact. All were skiers. The condo was 3800 square feet with multiple (5?) bedroom suites with baths. It is right above Starbucks and has a large balcony overlooking the ice rink. The fixtures and furnishings were top notch. This is one of the nicest ski condos I have ever been in. Mike had a full Turkey dinner going. It just kept getting better!
The company was great. The vibe at northstar was outstanding. A cuban shared on the balcony with some good wine. Wild women dancing on tables with 4th graders. Howling dogs. Then the New Years count downs every hour. The bars afterward were kickin'. The skiing the next morning was wonderful. Nice grippy snow and short lift lines. I skied the Palmer skis but didn't ski well- just not my day to feel the groove. Frustrating but oh well. I got to ski with Mike who RIPPED his new Stocklis, I saw George and Miranda Crown who are great friends/ski buddies, I ran into several customers- which I always enjoy. One of the families I had wanted to ski with for some time which was fun (Sorry Kerleys- we will do more runs together next time I promise). And then, after lunch, I was done. The crowds had woken up from their long nights and hit the mountain hard. The lift lines were longer than I have seen in years. The snow was deteriorating. The road to home was going to be long and crowded. I opted to head for the village. I try to ice skate at least once during the holiday season and there was one right below our balcony. Hmmm...But I didn't want to drive home for hours in slow traffic by myself. A tough dilema. I opted to get out and down the hill and skate in Walnut Creek this weekend. I got home pretty quick and had a relaxing evening before having to work today.
Wow. A quick 36 hour window where I got to sit in on a week long multi family vacation at Northstar. At Northstar's busiest time of the year. Very much what many of my customers look forward to every winter and spend lot's of hard earned dollars on, but very different from my usual ski experience. I must say I had a great time. Northstar is crowded but with good reason. The village is first rate and the mountain is very well maintained. The Vertical plus plan, top notch (and inexpensive) ski school, and wide variety of optional activities make Northstar a first class family resort. Other than the crowded lifts, the crowded village projected a great vibe and I had no other complaints. Add more terrain to ease the lift lines and we could have a great family resort here. Northstar will never match Squaw (or most resorts) for steeps and deeps but they aren't trying to.
On top of that it is nice to do it first class from time to time! It is a nice change from my weekly efficient "turn and burn" trips with their packed lunches and no overnight aspect.
Thanks to Mike and his wife Carla for always making me feel welcome. Mark and Kim for the use of their fantastic condo. Matt and his wife for their good company. The kids were part of the magic too. All the kids were well behaved and the dogs were as cute as could be. I see what all you "ski week" revelers get so excited about. I'm not ever going to get a chance to ski much during this time of year (and am not that upset about it) but it was surely great fun and a fantastic way to spend time with friends and family.
Think snow, and a happy 2009 to all of you.

No comments: