Saturday, March 5, 2011

You are gonna love your boots that suck!

Every now and then something comes along that changes things in a big way. Fire and the wheel come to mind as big changers. In skiing, metal edges, PTex bases, plastic boots, and shaped skis are a few of these things. What will be the next big thing in skiing? I think I know. It is an easier way to achieve comfortable boots for all, and it starts next year. You can thank Fischer now. You certainly will at some point if I am not wrong about this.
At the Denver industry trade show Fischer announced a revolutionary new boot. Called the Vacuum Boot, it features a shell that is molded to your foot. As those of you that have purchased boots from us already know, we feel that matching the shape of the boot to the shape of your foot is the key to a great ski boot. Heat molded liners are great, and we have embraced them, but we do not rely on them. We first shape the boot to your foot before we mold the liner.
To do this we use expensive tools to modify the shell. We mark it where we want to make the changes and then we use heat and pressure to effect the shells shape and try to match it to the architecture of your foot and lower leg. We are pretty good at it.
Unfortunately, there are typically some irregularities left over that don't exactly match perfectly. In most cases that is OK. The liner can help even things out and after a bit of "break in" most customers are very happy with the outcome.
But what if the shell matched your body exactly? Oh yeah! That would be the ultimate! So Fischer figured out a way to do it!
Yes, the Fischer boot shell is heated and becomes pliable. Then a machine is used to vacuum fit it to your foot and leg. It accommodates bowed legs, adjusts to the forward lean desired and is an exact replica of your lower leg and foot. I saw it done at the product unveiling in Denver. It seemed awesome, but there are always doubts. I was extremely interested in being involved in the vacuum boot project but had one reservation. I needed to experience the process and the results for myself. There is only one machine in the USA right now so I flew to Salt Lake City and had a pair made for me.
It was very cool! Chris is the race boot tech for Fischer in the USA, He fit me in between two athletes that flew in from the World Championships to get their new vacuum boots. I felt very special! After about an hour Q & A session with Chris, he formed my boots. Quite an experience. A half hour later I had molded boots that were ready to ski. The next day I skied with Peter Keelty from http://www.realskiers.com/ and a friend of ours at Deer Valley. Dang! A half hour boot fitting yielded a boot that was as comfortable as my current Dalbellos! Keep in mind that I am a hard to fit foot and my current boots had a number of ski days and about seven hours of work done to them to get them perfect. The Fischer vacuum technology achieved it on the first day!
I will tell you all more about the boot at a later time but suffice it to say that I am elated to be one of a very few dealers to be able to sell the Vacuum boot nationally next season. This will be very good for our revenues next year as people will be coming from all over to get the boots. If you are in the market for a new boot next year, it could be very good for you too! In the end the technology may spread to all ski boots sold and make ski ski boot pain a thing of the past. Get ready for boots that suck!

No comments: